Saturday, May 05, 2007

NEW RUST PIECE


Well I unwrapped the piece rusting.
When it is first unwrapped the steele leaves
black particles on the material so I always
hand wash it in warm soapy water and have
to scrub the cloth to take all the black stuff off.
Then I let it sit for a couple of hours in warm
water with fabric softener. This get rid of the
vinegar smell and softens the cloth..
Sadly it didn't turn out like I wanted it to,
I didn't wrap anything around it ..
So when I turn it over, which I do a few
times while it is rusting, the chains moved
around. No real impression of the chains.
I'll have to do another piece and make sure
I wrap it up tight after puting the chains on..
Oh well another piece for my rust pile....
If anybody wants a piece of my rusted cotton
let me know and I will post you a piece..
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Denise said...

You don't like this one? I love it! I think it looks cool! Do you ummm, remember my address? (she grins!)
Cheers, Denise

Nola said...

I think it's great! The thing with any sort of dyeing or even painting is that you don't always get the effect you had in mind - there's a certain amount of variability in the process. People who do it for a living expend a lot of energy in being able to replicate the same thing! I really like the bands of colour on this one.

Tonniece said...

I think it looks great too Dianne. If I sewed I'd have my hand up for it too. LOL

Unknown said...

I think its fabulous Dianne, you are on a roll,

platitudinal said...

Dianne, it may not have the desired chain impression that you want, but let all of us assure you ... this rust piece is BEAUTIFUL!

Carol said...

Dianne this is a fabulous piece, I just love it.

Jenny said...

Dianne this is just yummy! Anything I dye never turns out like I wanted. I think that is half the fun & excitment, wondering what you are going to get! Well done, now I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Digitalgran said...

I would be more than pleased if I'd rusted that piece Dianne. It's wonderful. i'll try using fabric softener in the final rinse next time too. Thanks.

larin said...

It may not show the chain pattern, but the pattern made is absolutely gorgeous! It's kind of like looking at British garden books and seeing them grow things that I consider weeds--it's just not what you were trying to achieve, but trust me--it's seriously fab! --LaRinda

juanita sim said...

This is a super piece. I'd love to know how you did it!