Thursday, April 26, 2007

RUSTING A NEW PIECE

I fianally started my rusted piece of chains..
For anyone who hasn't done this it's very simple..
You can actually use any type of material,
with anything that will rust (steel)..
I'm doing a art quilt about the underground railway
in Nova Scotia Canada for a friend...
I used a piece of cotton sheet, I bought at the charity shop
and just ripped a piece off, layed a piece of chain then rolled
it over added another piece of chain until I got to the end of
the material put it in the bucket and soaked it in vinegar..
You can use white or brown doesn't matter. I'll leave it for
a week, if it get dry I just add a bit more vinegar to dampen it.
The ust will bleed into the material and when you undo it.
Well its like magic, I love to do this...
You can put the rusted piece anywhere,
http://magpiesenvy.blogspot.com/2006/09/yahoooooo-i-rerusted-my-last-piece-and.html#links
This is another one I did with all kinds of rusted bits and just kept
wrapping it together. I have some thin steel wire and I tie the
piece up with it..
http://magpiesenvy.blogspot.com/2006/09/rust-unwrapped.html#links
This is how I layed them out
http://magpiesenvy.blogspot.com/2006/09/look-at-my-rusted-good-dafasco-steele.html#links
This next one I used big rusty washers, good Dofasco Steel...
Okay I'm off to work on something else, I hope I will have a pic of it tomorrow..
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Elis Cooke said...

Hi Dianne
What a great idea! I love the random abstract markings this makes! namaste Elis.

Dianne said...

Oh, I need to try this too. My hubby has that many rusy things lying around I should make good use of them.
P.S. Thankyou SO much for your wonderful email!!!

feltedfibers said...

Hi Diane, Look forward to seeing your lastest peice of rusting, I have just started soaking some merino /silk fibers - not sure if it will work as I want to felt with it after rusting, have made felt and then rusted but want to know if it works other way around althou I know it will only be the rust colour and not pattern LOL

platitudinal said...

I've seen your rusted pieces before and they are fabulous. This is a stupid question(but, i am that) how do you get rid of the vinegar smell on the material?