Tuesday, October 10, 2006

BLACK WALNUT INK


On a beautiful Thanksgiving weekend I went to pick some black walnuts.
I've been waiting all summer for them to be rippen, I'm getting brave and going
to make my own walnut ink for us girls... The price of walnut ink is outragous
12oz for $6 very pricey so here goes. They pic above is a pailfull of the walnuts
I picked 2 of them and a pail full in the pot, so should have enough for a life time LOL..
I found two reciepe on line and I'm trying them out...
I soak them in the pot over night, turned the heat on low (7am) and have to simmer it for 12hrs
then strain it and simmer it again for another 12hrs, So well see how it goes I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Tonniece said...

Well Dianne it looks good so far.
I can't wait to try it out.

Happy Simmering chickie

Love Tonniece

platitudinal said...

Dianne! (Luci screams excitedly)
This is very fascinating!

Now, the question: can the simmering be done in a crockpot?

Elis Cooke said...

a brave experiment.. looking forward to seeing how it turns out! namaste Elis.

Denise said...

Good for you for trying this!! Where did you get your black walnuts?
The alcohol you might be looking for is also call grain alcohol or alcool? You can ask at the LCBO or I wonder if rubbing alcohol will work?

I'd love to try this, I wonder if they have black walnuts in Ottawa!
My sister got some Golden Delicious apples from Milton - they are perfect this time of year, if you like apples!!!
Cheers, Denise